Since the European Union Educative Commission through Thematic Working Group ‘Teacher Professional Development’ pubished the documment: "Supporting Teacher Competence Development for better learning outcomes" in 2013, all European Union Countries are modifying and "rethinking" education in order to improve and extend teachers' competences vital for a fast changing world. To be more effective in class is key to rise level of pupils attaintment.
Teaching profession requires nowadays a high level of competences which deal with social demands and world changes provoked by technologies and globalization understanding. Knowledgement, skills and attitudes are the basis for reaching teacher professional competences. Schools are more and more multicultural ecosystems, which have also to respond to the integration of students with special needs, implement the use of ICT to literate students in the digital competence, engage with new systems or methods of evaluation, and involve families to participate actively in schools. Teachers also must promote their students to get skills that makes them to find different ways of thinking (creativity and critical thinking, problem solving, decision-making and learning); ways of working (collaboratively and communication strategies); use of different tools of working like the use of ICT and skills around the citizenship in modern democracies.
Teaching Professional Competences could be determined by the following dimensions:
- Fundamental core:
- Teacher as a professional, critic and interpreter of knowlege and culture.
- Teacher is an expert to manage the language that is uses for the instruction and to use communicative skills.
- Approaches and methods:
- Teachers must develop teaching-learning situations to develop specific subject content.
- Teachers must apply approaches and methods of evaluation which focus on students progress in learning content and competences.
- Teachers must master the plan and organization of curriculum and classroom management to promote studets' learning and social development skills.
- Social and educational context:
- Teachers must develop competences to adapt their teaching to the diversity in class.
- Teachers must know how to integrate ICT to design activities that help instructional management and learning purposes.
- Teachers must have a cooperative attitude in the staff to colaborate in innovative projects and improvements which challenge new objectives involving other colleagues and families.
- Teacher Professional Identity
- Teachers must engage and motivate themselves to develop their professional carrer in a lifelong learning.
- Teachers must demonstrate ethical and responsible professional behaviour of their duties.